Tuesday, January 18, 2011

assignment 1

Alyssa Beth Brown
Elizabeth
Named after both my Grandmas.

Alice and Beth.
Born and raised in Rio Rico Arizona.
A town that borders Mexico and America.
Seems as though I’ve always been split into two.

My family has two boys and two girls. The oldest are the two boys, The youngest are the two girls. I am the youngest of them all. My sister and I are only 18 months apart. Irish twins they say. She is my rock, the only one who sees me for exactly who I am.

After 18 years of feeling locked up in this tiny town, I moved to Tempe to study dance at ASU. I suppose dance could potentially be the most unstable career to pursue, but I couldn’t feel alive without it. I worry more than I should, I drink than I should, and I dance more than I should. None of which lead to the healthiest life, but, hell, I couldn’t be happier.

This past year I have decided that there is only purpose for me is to be apart of and to create great art. And I’m more scared than anyone could possibly imagine. You see, wanting to be submersed in art guarantees two things : instability and poverty. But after growing up on the border I have come to terms that neither of those are a guarantee in life.

I’m about to finish college, the day to be exact is May 3rd. The only things I’ve heard about graduating college are “I don’t know why I wanted to finish” and “The real world is much harder than you’re expecting”. Great… I can’t wait. But honestly I can’t. I intend on spending my summer in Europe (Brussels to be exact) dancing my ass off and looking for a job. Art seems to be found there and that’s just what I’m searching for.

I have a cat. I never imagined I’d be a cat lady at the prime age of 21. But I love Ashbury Williams (that’s his name) more than I love most things. Him and I match with our pale white coloring and blue eyes. I have 4 roommates (yes, that means 5 people live in my house) who will all agree that he is the coolest cat you’ve ever met.

I spend my days with girls (dance doesn’t appeal to many men) and my nights with boys (3 out of the 5 in the house are boys). We live in walking distance from the bars and we take advantage of it more than we should. Most of us have just finished college or are about to. So we’re all ready to embrace and enjoy life for exactly what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment