Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Ceramic Experience: Tales from CJR

I have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn, drive myself (along with some other students I honestly don’t care for) to Clarkdale Arizona. This isn’t my first time up there as I have been driving back and forth all break working with artist Don Reitz for a class. His work is beyond incredible and the experience has allowed me to really settle into my own way of creating. I have spent 8 days completely enthralled in my work and have accomplished more than I imagined I would. But this last trip I am dreading due to the annoyance my classmates and the immense amount of work that is involved in unloading the wood-fired kiln. Furthermore, all the collectors and big-wigs of ASU would be there watching us bust our butts and getting in our way, which overall just creates more irritation for me.

On the drive up I have at least 7 cigarettes just anticipating the joyous day ahead of me. From the moment I arrived I knew the small-talk , fake pleasantries, and false sense of community, was going to make my day just dandy. I had woken up at 6:30 so I could arrive by 9:15 and spent my time waiting 2 hours for 80 year old Don to wake up. When Don finally awoke, he decided that instead of us unloading the kiln, we would unload his daughters storage shed. What a surprise, how did Don know I wanted to wake up earlier than is right for man-kind and unload a shed that was completely unrelated to me. Not to mention the shed was filled with cinder-blocks and plywood. What an interesting way to challenge my artistic mind and a wonderful learning experience that I am paying $2,000 for. Well, at least I got free lunch out of it.

After lunch, I spent another 3 hours waiting around. Since I was allowed to smoke at Don’s studio I took a nice stroll (maybe more like 4 or 5 strolls) down the river to feed my nicotine addiction. Finally, a gigantic bus arrived with all those ASU collectors and big-wigs. Upon their arrival, they begin making speeches and I realize my ipod is blaring rock and roll music. I fight my way to towards the ipod so that I can unplug it and prevent anyone from noticing. I than realize, to the right of me is a Don Reitz, to my left is the curator of the ASU art museum. I have somehow managed to accidentally fight my way through the crowd and stand among of the big-wigs. Not to mention, there is a photographer taking photos of the event. So there I am, in all the press releases, after having 2 hours of sleep, a pack of cigarettes to myself, and spent a day of hard labor. Glad I am able to make a good impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment