Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Family Memory

Variation 1:
My Perspective:
I grew up in a family with 2 boys and 2 girls. The boys were the oldest and the girls were the youngest, in fact I am the baby. When boys are young they have a tendency to over indulge in playing pranks on their little sisters and my brothers were the masters at it. My sister and I were about 4 and 5 and had been locked in our room for hours playing barbies (a usual for us). I don't know when my brothers had the brilliant idea or when they posted the sign, but they decided to attempt and sell our room. Realistically this was not possible but as a four year old, I thought it could happen. So I left my room to go to the bathroom and come back to a sign on my door that says "Room for sale. See owners next door" (there room was immediately next to ours). I immediately got angry, angrier than I had ever been. I started yelling and screaming at them, ripped the sign off the door and ran to the living room to show my parents. My parents couldn't help but burst into laughter understanding the impossibility of my brothers selling my room. Still I was just utterly confused and couldn't understand why everyone was laughing. My memory from there is blurry and I am uncertain of what happened next. But I can assure you that even now my family loves to tell this story.

My fathers perspective:
I was watching tv in the living room. Finally a break from four young children as they are occupied with playing. I can't remember the last time my wife and I got some piece and quite in this house. Or had the opportunity to watch an entire tv show, movies are so far out of the question unless it involves a Disney character. Suddenly, Alyssa comes screeching into the living room with a piece of paper in her hands. She is beyond livid and I can't make out what she is trying to say underneath her crying. Sarah comes in after her and attempts to calm her down, while the boys come in immediately trying to defend themselves. Still I have no idea what exactly happened, but I am use to the boys doing something to the girls. At this point Alyssa has dropped the paper out of her hands, I pick it up and it reads "Room for sale. See owners next door". I can't help but burst into laughter, as my wife has the same reaction. The boys begin laughing too thinking they have gotten away with this ploy to anger the girls and I must admit, it was pretty clever. Still laughter may have not been the best reaction. After I am able to pull myself together, I calm Alyssa down and send the boys to bed. I didn't punish them for it, but I did try and convince them to stop playing pranks on the girl. To this day the boys still attempt to do so, but the girls have gotten a lot better at getting back at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment