Monday, January 24, 2011

MaryLane Porter... The first

MaryLane. Please do not call her Mary because she much prefers MaryLane, as made clear through her distinct introduction. "Hi, I'm MaryLane Porter. The first" as she laughs at her own introduction. I have never met an individual quite as unique as this one.

At the young age of 21 MaryLane has already started her own corporation. DAHT, standing for dancers and health together. Since I met her, my freshman year of college, she has had this ambition and has saw to it that it would happen. When I asked her a few days ago what she would do if it didn't work out she exclaimed "the way I see it, I will do anything to see that it happens. I know it may not always lead to the best life decisions, but I know it's what I am suppose to do". Her corporation focuses on bringing dance to the masses and helping them understand how it can benefit ones health both mentally and physically. She invests a lot of time with community work and helps others to learn how dance can save lives. Maybe not literally, but it sure can bring joy to almost anyone.

The three things that best describe MaryLane are: business casual, drive-in movies, and sugar. Whenever we attempt to go anywhere she asks "what should I wear?" and before anyone can answer she says "business casual?". Not that it would matter what we said because it's a guarantee that's what you'll find her in. Whenever she plans a night on the town, its a guarantee drive-in movies are at the top of her list. She can convince anyone and everyone to attend one with her. If it's a Harry Potter movie, you know the second she asks, you'll be going. I've never met someone with a sugar addiction like MaryLane. Anyone could win her heart with a cookie and the second you offer it to her, her face lights up like you just told her she won a million dollars. Once she gets on a sugar kick, there is nothing stopping her to satisfy her craving. She is constantly bringing cookies everywhere and she'll never tell what her secret ingredients are.

MaryLane and I connected because we both cam from small towns. She's from Ardmore Oklahoma and I'm from Rio Rico Arizona. We both have big dreams and small town hearts. This is what connects us down to our souls. Anyone who knows her can agree, you'll never meet anyone like MaryLane Porter... the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment