Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kitchen

The kitchen has always been the most central part of my families activity. As we have grown older, my brother is a chief, my sisters boyfriend is a chief, and my mother is an excellent cook. Honestly, the kitchen in my adult life is far more interesting than my childhood as each person fights to be the head chief in the kitchen. Still, growing up in such a large family meant that each person had to be apart of the kitchen in some way. Each kid had to play a role so that the kitchen could come together and work smoothly. Here is a memory from my childhood (attempting to write it as though I were still that age).

My sister and I always wash the dishes. In fact my father bought us dish washing aprons in order to make it more fun for us. Although I don't actually like washing dishes, I am impressed by his attempt to make it fun. My mom always decorates her kitchen with three colors: white, navy blue, and yellow. The tile is all white, from the counter tops to the floor. The walls were decorated with navy blue china that was so high up I couldn't reach it if I tried. And somewhere in the kitchen is hidden yellow, either a yellow sunflower or a yellow teapot. The kitchen seems more like a place for my mother than for me, but still I am forced to help out somehow.

Every year, for Thanksgiving each of us has a dish to prepare. My brothers helps with the turkey, my sister makes pies with my mom, and I make mashed potatoes. I have been perfecting my secret recipe for years now and I must admit, even being so young, no one makes them better than me. Each year my mom sets it up for me and I climb up on a stool and mash the potatoes in that big orange bowl. I throw in all the butter, salt, and milk that anyone could ever possibly eat and mash it all together. It's surprisingly hard being so small, but still I am determined.

The potatoes are always the last thing to be finished. But while preparing them there is a lot of action happening to make sure the whole meal goes off smoothly. My mom is the center of the kitchen as she plays a role in everything that is being made. Each year, her and my brother get into some sort of argument because they both think they know best. Still, they always come to some sort of agreement in order to make the day enjoyable for everyone. Once everything is finally prepared, we set it out and begin to eat. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday even until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment