Tuesday, April 19, 2011

She who taught me.

We were never blood related but we were connected at the soul.

I never really had a faith of my own but I always thought I wanted one.
I spent every summer at church camp but I was always to preoccupied with boys so I never though much of faith.
This year, my parents decided to let my brother drive my sister and I up.
I was in the car.
I read the message.
My eyes filled with tears and my brother immediately pulled over.

I had starting dancing when I was three but it never was anything of importance to me. My mom forced me to go so I did it. I never noticed how much I loved it until I met her. She taught me how much I loved to dance. She taught me what a role model was. She taught me.

The only thing the message read was this “Danica died last night”.
In that moment everything around me stopped making sense and couldn’t have possibly been real.

She was only 22.
I was only 17.
We had known each other for years, but in the past 2 she had taken me under her wings. She was the first person to believe in me and make me understand how to believe in myself. She recognized how much I loved to dance before I even knew it.

My parents and I decided it was best for me to go to camp for the next week and they’d pick me up early for her funeral if it was necessary.
The next week was a blur because nothing around me actually made any sort of sense.
But for the first time in my life, I actually understood what faith was about.

We started teaching together the following year.
Danica moved me to all the advance dance levels.
She was who I wanted to be, but more importantly she was my friend.

Faith started to become about love, strength, and comfort for me.
I prayed for these things everyday for the next year.
I dance for these things still today.

After she was gone she kept teaching me.
I wouldn’t be dancing without her.
I wouldn’t be who I am without her.

I find faith in inspiration.
I find faith every time I dance.
I find faith every time I create.
I find faith every time I remember her.

No comments:

Post a Comment