Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bill T. Jones week is the best week: Prompt 22

It’s not often that people are given the chance to interact with someone who is great in their field of work. It’s even less often when that person looks you square in the face and gives you advice. Bill T. Jones is a world renounced choreographer who has made both commercial work and profound artistic work. He is one of (if not the) most sought after choreographers and still continues to grow as an artist. Last week, all the dance majors dubbed it Bill T. Jones week. His company just started an artist in residency program at Gammage so the entire week was filled with lectures, master classes, and everything Bill T. Jones. He is a very busy man so we spent most of the time interacting with various company members of his, but on Thursday he specifically came to speak to our department.

Everywhere I go I carry my journal with me in case a moment of inspiration or desperation occurs. Writing is an essential part of how I create and how I live. I love handwritten anything. Knowing that Bill T. Jones was coming to speak with us and has had such a successful career, I wanted to write down all the words of wisdom that may come out of his mouth. I wasn’t the only one with this thought, as the entire front row of dancers had pen and paper in hand. From the moment he walked in the room I was star struck. I wanted to know anything and everything that he had to offer. He has successfully accomplished my dream and I hoped to gain some great insight into making this happen for myself.

Bill T. Jones did nothing but impress me. He was narcissistic and humble all in one. He was bold and doubtful even through all of his success. Finally he was serious and humorous making for one captivating lecture. I have over two pages of insight that he gave me in that 30 minute lecture. At one point, while he was speaking he looked directly at me and said “I assume your taking notes for class..” still being star struck I shook my head and mumbled “no”. He took a step back, paused and said with surprise “wait, so you’re just taking notes for yourself?” Uncertain of what was to come next I muttered “yes”, he slowly walked away keeping his gaze directly at me and said “keep that pure spirit of investigation”. Although I am sure this moment is long since forgotten for him, this will forever be etched in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment