Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts"-Albert Einstein

Being the youngest of four siblings basically trains you to have idols. I didn’t have just one person to look up to, but I had three. My oldest brother, Abe, is bold and creative. Andrew is charming and friendly. My sister Sarah is poised and caring. I grew up being overwhelmed by idols and it became was easy to lose sight of who I was. One thing for certain, I never had a fantasy about idols being perfect, I always knew they were flawed no matter how wonderful I felt they all were.

Abe is the oldest and the boldest. He’s never afraid to go after what he wants and will work until he accomplishes it. Studying art I am now submersed among creative minds, but I have never met someone as creative as Abe. From writing to music, he always finds ways to impress me with his creativity.

Andrew has always been the golden child. He was the quarterback of our high school football team and an overall stellar athlete. What I have always found myself admiring about Andrew is how much he cares. He’s good at things because he works hard to make them happen.

My sister and I were the closest when we were young. Mainly because we are only 18 months apart and were put in all the same activities. Still, I looked to her for each and every move that I would make. I spent a solid 8 years of my life pretending to be shy because I found that quality in her so endearing. Today, she is the only person who can completely balance me out. Being connected at the hip our entire lives made for a pretty strong bond.

As much as I still look up to all my older siblings today, I never thought they were perfect. What can be wrong with idolizing people is loosing sight of who you really are. I was looking up to so many people, I somehow got lost along the way. When I came to college, it was natural for me to look up to people, so I did the same with my friends. It wasn’t until one of my closest friends pointed out to me how much of myself I was missing out on. She doesn’t even remember that conversation, but in that moment, I knew I had to stop looking towards others and start looking towards myself. No matter how perfect or flawed idols may seem, I am still finding it is more important to discover my own perfections and imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment