Tuesday, March 22, 2011

UNcomfortable place: Prompt 33

Hey guys! This is Thursday March 24th post. But I'll be out of town for a dance festival. I had to do all the work over Spring Break and Post it today. Just thought I'd let you know so you weren't confused!


“Now today we are launching something new an exciting”

After almost three years of working for a massive corporation, I know what this really means: we are going to make a series of unnecessary changes. This phrase I had heard at least three times a year, and I can promise you that each time something “exciting” was happening, I would have to go through a slew of new rules from a rulebook that was already massive. But I would politely nod my head, smile, and adapt.

Change is something I love, but rules are something that make a cringe. New rules adding on to a previous list of rules is something I’d rather not face. The real problem was me, I actually attempted to follow each guideline accurately as possible. This is not my preferred way of living, but I wanted to work to a decent promotion. Finally, all the rules weighed down on me and I fell into a place of complete discomfort.

The location I worked at would cycle through employees faster than you can imagine. Most people would last for a solid year, not many stay for a second, and hardly any stay for a third. The constant flow of people makes it impossible for someone to feel any ease during a shift, which is an unnecessary amount of stress for a college job. My last few months there, I encountered a micromanager. This was a dream for her boss, and a nightmare for her employees. If having a constant stream of customers to deal with wasn’t enough to think about, every time your fingers touched your face, she’d remind you to wash your hands. This combined with my own impulse to follow all the guidelines left with more than I can handle.

One would think that after being a devoted worker for so long you would gain more respect, but honestly I just found discomfort. Corporate anything allows for the treatment of each employee as waste. Being treated like waste isn’t something I enjoy all that much, so after having my fill I left this place of discomfort. Oddly enough, I found myself in a local coffee shop where homeless people sleep on couches and women with beards ask for water. Yet somehow, I find myself far more comfortable amongst all of these people then I did working for a corporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment