Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Denim Expert: Prompt 34

While looking for an expert on anything or perhaps everything, I ventured over to my neighbors to see if that had any knowledge to share. Much to my surprise, I was living next door to an expert on denim.

“Denim is currently having a great resurgence of unsanforized selvedge denim in the United States.” Ben explained to me. He must have been aware of the confusion on my face as he went on to explain

“Sanforizedation is the treatment of fabrics that helps retain shape and color after washing. Selvedge is type of weave that was originally woven to prevent fraying. It requires a specific loom and is usually marked by the hem which is either a blue or red line. It started in America in the 40s and 50s, just as a working mans pants that would last forever. It got popular among motorcycle riders because they would go through jeans so quickly. Levi had the first popular brand. Unsanforized selvedge wore really well, it has a natural elasticity it naturally fades and contours to your body shape. Soak your jeans and put them on when there a little wet and they’ll naturally form to your body. Non selvedge is cheaper to make and mass produce. Sewing machines allowed for this to happen, so Japanese were buying the old machines and refurbished them, The Japanese has perfected this American craft”

At this point I was quit impressed and overwhelmed my Ben’s knowledge on denim. A topic I had never even thought to explore. I can remember the days of going to the store and buying jeans that were already faded and wondering why new jeans were bought looking as though they’d been worn.

“People started wanted denim that faded because designers started making jeans that looked salvaged and selling them at a high price. When the reality is if you buy selvedge jeans you can create this look for yourself. Now Americans are making them and getting good at it once again.”

Now feeling inspirited to go purchase a pair of jeans that I can fade myself and make custom to my own body, I wondered where would someone purchase such a thing. Ben knew just the place.

“Roy Slaper is the man with the master plan. He makes his jeans, hand made. I have a pair that almost 200 wears and plan on going 400 without soaking them. I probably won’t ever wash them, only soak they when the elasticity of the jeans catches up so they fit too big. Roy Slaper denim comes from America, but cotton from Japan is the best (as well as the craftsmanship). But Roy is competing really well.”

It’s good to know that America sold its craft to only wish they hadn’t years later. Still it’s great to know that Roy Slaper is bringing back American denim. Overall, I was quit impressed with Ben’s ability to speak so expertly on a topic all while being so casual. Ben seems to reflect a good pair of Roy Slapers jeans, high is quality and casual in appearance.


A video of Roy Slaper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3guozBZyKE

No comments:

Post a Comment