Tuesday, March 22, 2011

First Person: Prompt 29

I grew up in a small town in southern Arizona. The people you meet in kindergarten are the people you graduate high school with, and by 5th grade most groups of friends have been formed. I was not so lucky. I spent elementary, middle, and most of high school wondering around and never really finding my nitch. By the time I was a junior in high school, I had given up on the friend quest and became content with my life.

Of course, that’s when things always change. I had know Alexis since kindergarten but we never really even spoke. I was with the nerds, and she was with the cool kids so our paths rarely intersected. But we both joined the dance team at our high school and we immediately clicked. We couldn’t be further from opposite. She was tough, straightforward, and never afraid to speak her mind. I was overly sensitive, too nice, and pretty nerdy. Together we balanced each other out and taught each other a lot about life. But it wasn’t just the two of us that bounded: her best friend since forever Jeff rounded out the group with his fun loving carefree attitude.

The three of us got really close really quickly. We had found such a perfect balance between us all. But when high school ended, things changed. As much as we all wanted to stay close, we all ended up in different parts of the country. Still I made time for both of them in my life. When Alexis told me she was getting married, I immediately saved the date so I could be there. Jeff and I talked and we were both ecstatic for her big day.

As the day got closer and closer, I started getting serious calls from both of them. Jeff called me about two weeks before the wedding to let me know he couldn’t make it. He was devastated and scared of how it would impact their friendship. I told him he needed to tell her immediately, but of course he put it off. A week before the wedding, Alexis called me enraged. I told her it was her day and he shouldn’t let him ruin it.

The wedding was beautiful. Jeff text me the entire time asking me for details, but Alexis told me not to tell him anything. I was afraid the three of us were coming to an end.

After the wedding, it only got worse. Alexis’s strong will and stubbornness made sure she’d never let him live this down. Jeff’s carefree attitude and forgetfulness made it difficult to make his remorse seem sincere. I have stayed good friends with both these people, but it was sad to see such a strong friendship come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment