Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Third Person: Prompt 29

We had been best friends since kindergarten. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to start my own family and he wanted to become a fashion photographer. By the young age of 20, he was living in New York following his dreams and I was about to get married. I couldn’t believe that after over 15 years of knowing each other, we both were fulfilling our dreams. But, realistically, our goals had pulled our lives in two entirely different directions and the last couple years had been hard on our friendship. Still, I couldn’t imagine getting married without him there.

“Jeff! I’m getting married!”
“Oh my goodness Alexis! I’m so excited. You know I wouldn’t miss it for the world. When is it?”
“It’s going to be June 16th!”

It was at least 6 months before the wedding when I told him of the date. As it got closer and closer, I begin to feel weary about his attendance. We haven’t talked because I was busy planning a wedding and he was busy taking photos in New York. A week before the wedding I received a text message that read:

Alexis, You know I love you more than anything in the world. But I won’t be able to attend your wedding. I can’t believe this is happening, but work just won’t let me off. I am so sorry. I know I have to make it up to you.

I’m not the type of person to get sad when someone lets me down. I’m the type of person to get pissed and drop them from my life. I called my other good friend Alyssa to tell her of the news.

“Alyssa, he’s not coming. Why am I even surprised! He does this all the time. And you know he didn’t even ask for work off until now! Trying to play the victim when he’s known forever. I’m done. I can’t put up with it anymore”
“Alex, I’m sorry. I don’t know what to say. He should be here for this. He knows how much it means to you”

My wedding day finally came and went. He called, asked to see pictures, even sent a present in the mail, but it just isn’t enough for me. For as long as we were inseparable, he finally hurt me too much for me to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment